Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lindi Ortega: Little Red Boots

Her 12 frequently playful tracks rarely stray far from a danceable beat, while paying tribute to country roots. She persistently offers challenging lyrics, such as in Jimmy Dean, which speaks as the film actor’s ghost.
“Hey little boy, don’t you know my name?  September of 1955, it was 24 years 'til the day I died. You know my face from the Hollywood silver screen. I was just looking for another fast ride; I didn't think I wouldn't make it back alive.”
The Canadian singer-songwriter continues through the subjects of Elvis Presley, personal relationships, and her signature boots of the title track.
While she brings a pleasingly strong voice to the table, she’s not shy about using classic close harmony to get her message across, or pausing to let us appreciate her songs' rich arrangements and solos from the talented instrumentalists.
There’s even a couple of rich ballads, as the slow number, So Sad, which I could picture bringing down the house at a great Louisiana R&B/Swamp Pop festival, and Black Fly:



“Before you go, just one last taste – one for the road and our mistakes. For Tupelo, the sweetest taste, lay down beside me and drink away.”
I hope for many more tastes of Lindi’s music.

No comments:

Post a Comment